Date: Saturday, September 9, 2017 - Sunday, September 10, 2017
Time: All Day
September 9 & 10, 2017 – Friends of Castine Fortifications present:
“1779 – 1783 Fort George – Protected by the Crown”
Find us on Facebook
Calling All History Enthusiasts! Click HERE to experience the 18th century firsthand!
Fort George in Castine is on the National Register of Historic Places due to the important role it played in the American Revolution and later in the War of 1812.
On the weekend of September 9 & 10, 2017, volunteers at Fort George and Castine will show us what life may have been like between 1779 and 1783 while Crown troops protected the Loyalists who had moved to the area believing that the Penobscot was going to be the border between the new United States of America and British North America.
The weekend will be filled with music, food, history, presentations and entertainment for the whole family. For a downloadable pdf and schedule of events, please click HERE.
Here are a few of the highlights to expect:
- A delicious breakfast as fund raiser for the Trinitarian Congregational Church
- Encampments by Scottish and other British as well as “Hessian” troops
- Drills and recruitments by the reenactors
- Informal history presentations
- Meet Loyalists
- Lecture by history professor Dr. Riordan entitled “Mixed Allegiances” on Saturday, Sept 9, from 5-6 PM, in the 1954 Room at Maine Maritime Academy
- Performance of the 1783 play “The Hessian Officer in America” on Friday, Sept. 8 at 7pm, Saturday Sept. 9 at 7pm and Sunday Sept 10 at 3pm in Delano Hall at Maine Maritime Academy. For more information on the play and the performers click HERE.
Watch this site for more information to come and a schedule of events. To sign up for our mailing list, please click HERE.
- In August, attend a lecture or workshop with Historian Henry Cooke and learn about men’s fashion at the time of the American Revolution. It’s a great opportunity to learn some new skills and prepare to be authentically garbed for the event. Click HERE for more information and to register.
In Cooperation with: